Building a single unified digital experience for all veterans.
956 1-800 numbers
42 Call Centers
Today, the VA customer experience is fragmented, frustrating and confusing. Customers can’t find the information they need when they need it.
But their wants are simple. They desire:
- Useful information that’s clearly written and presented, and;
- Tools that are easy to find and use.
The new vets.gov intends to deliver both.
- Unifying and simplifying VA’s digital touch points, dramatically improving customer experience
- Meeting customer need on the first try, on any device
- Creating a mobile-first platform
- Retooling existing applications and designing new end-to-end experiences, in partnership with business owners across VA
- Providing transparency about our methods and processes
- Understand human need: design for people, rather than VA’s systems
- Assume every visitor is new
- Speak clearly, respectfully and directly
- Help people reach their goals every time
- Connect with customers. Create opportunities for feedback and dialog
- Research, observe, test and continuously improve
- Measure what matters
- Be device agnostic
- Employ modern development practices – be agile
Human Centered Design
Human Centered Design is rooted in empathy. It strives to understand customer need and address it.
The vets.gov platform provides quality and consistency for customers, as well as those building customer experiences for VA.
Vets.gov combines Human Centered Design with Agile development to deliver products rooted in customer need and supported through cycles of continuous improvement.
The vets.gov governance model defines stakeholder roles and responsibilities.
Learn about how to migrate to the vets.gov platform.
View our design principles, code snippets and developer documentation.
Editorial and Content Guide
View our editorial principles and guidelines for creating content.