Skip to Content
Your browser is out of date. To use this website, please update your browser or use a different device.
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Pension Benefits Eligibility

If you’re a wartime Veteran who meets certain age or disability requirements, and your income and net worth are within certain limits, you may qualify for monthly payments through our Veterans Pension program. Find out if you can get this benefit.

Can I get Veterans pension benefits from VA?

You may be able to get pension benefits if you were discharged from service under conditions other than dishonorable and:

  • You started on active duty before September 8, 1980, and you served at least 90 days on active duty with at least 1 day during wartime, or
  • You started on active duty as an enlisted person after September 7, 1980, and served at least 24 months or the full period for which you were called or ordered to active duty (with some exceptions) with at least 1 day during wartime, or
  • You were an officer and started on active duty after October 16, 1981, and you hadn’t previously served on active duty for at least 24 months


  • Your yearly family income and net worth meet certain limits set by Congress. Your net worth includes all personal property you own (except your house, your car, and most home furnishings), minus any debt you owe. Your net worth includes the net worth of your spouse. Find out about Veterans pension rates.

And at least one of these is true:

  • You’re at least 65 years old, or
  • You have a permanent and total disability, or
  • You’re a patient in a nursing home for long-term care because of a disability, or
  • You’re getting Social Security Disability Insurance or Supplemental Security Income

Who’s covered?


If you’re a surviving spouse or a child of a deceased Veteran with wartime service, please check our Survivors Pension page to see if you qualify for pension benefits. Learn more about the Survivors Pension program.

Ready to apply?

Fill out an Application for Pension (VA Form 21P-527EZ).
Download VA Form 21P-527EZ.

Note: Attach all the supporting documents (evidence) to the end of the form.

You can turn in your application and evidence in 1 of 3 ways:

By mail
Mail the application to the Pension Management Center (PMC) for your state.
Find your PMC.

In person
Bring your application to a regional benefit office near you.
Find a regional benefit office.

With the help of a trained professional
You can work with a trained professional called an accredited representative to get help applying for VA pension benefits.
Get help filing a claim.

Learn more about the application process.

Find out how to apply for the Survivors Pension program.