Pension Benefits Application Process
You can apply in person or by mail for a Veterans pension. Follow these steps to apply for this tax-free benefit.
- Find out if you qualify. Check your eligibility.
- Gather the information listed below that you’ll need to fill out your pension application.
What information do I need to apply?
- Social Security number or VA file number (required)
- Military history (required)
- Your financial information and the financial information of your dependents (required)
- Work history
- Bank account direct deposit information
- Medical information
Ready to apply?
Fill out an Application for Pension (VA Form 21P-527EZ).
Download VA Form 21P-527EZ.
Note: Attach all the supporting documents (evidence) to the end of the form.
You can turn in your application and evidence in 1 of 3 ways:
Mail the application to the Pension Management Center (PMC) for your state.
Find your PMC.
Bring your application to a regional benefit office near you.
Find a regional benefit office.
With the help of a trained professional
You can work with a trained professional called an accredited representative to get help applying for VA pension benefits.
Get help filing a claim.
How long does it take VA to make a decision?
It depends. We process claims in the order we receive them, unless a claim requires priority processing.