Skip to Content
Your browser is out of date. To use this website, please update your browser or use a different device.

This site is a work in progress. If you don’t find what you need, visit

Application Process

You can apply in person or by mail for Veterans pension benefits. Follow these steps to apply for this tax-free benefit.


  • Find out if you qualify. Check your eligibility.
  • Gather the information listed below that you’ll need to fill out your pension application.

What information do I need to apply?

  • Military history
  • Your financial information and the financial information of your dependents (required)
  • Work history
  • Direct deposit information
  • Medical information


You can apply in 1 of 3 ways:

Apply by mail

Fill out Form 21P-527EZ (Application for Pension). Download Form 21P-527EZ.

Mail it to the Pension Management Center (PMC) for your state. Find your PMC.

Work with a trained professional

You can work with a trained professional called an accredited representative to get help applying for VA pension benefits. Find an accredited representative.

Apply in person

Bring your application to a Regional Benefits Office near you. Find a Regional Benefits Office.

Find out how to apply for the Survivors Pension program.

How long does it take VA to make a decision?

It depends. We process claims in the order we receive them, unless a claim requires priority processing.