Skip to Content
Your browser is out of date. To use this website, please update your browser or use a different device.
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance (SGLI)

If you’re a Servicemember who meets certain criteria, we’ll automatically sign you up for low-cost term life insurance coverage called Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance (SGLI). Find out if you qualify—and how to manage your coverage.

Can I get SGLI?

You may be able to get full-time SGLI coverage if any of the descriptions below are true for you.

At least one of these must be true. You’re:

  • An active-duty member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or Coast Guard, or
  • A commissioned member of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) or the U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS), or
  • A cadet or midshipman of the U.S. military academies, or
  • A member, cadet, or midshipman of the Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC) engaged in authorized training and practice cruises, or
  • A member of the Ready Reserve or National Guard, assigned to a unit, and scheduled to perform at least 12 periods of inactive training per year, or
  • A volunteer in an Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) mobilization category

If you’re in nonpay status with the Ready Reserve or National Guard

You may be able to get full-time SGLI coverage if you meet both of the requirements below.

Both of these must be true. You’re:

  • Scheduled for 12 periods of inactive training for the year, and
  • Drilling for points rather than pay

Note: You must pay your premiums directly.

Who’s covered?


What kind of life insurance benefits can I get with SGLI?

  • Coverage up to the top limit of $400,000—in $50,000 increments
  • 120 days of free coverage from the date you left the military
  • Extension of free coverage for up to 2 years (if you’re totally disabled) when you leave the military.
    See below for information on the SGLI-Disability Extension.
  • Part-time coverage (if you’re a Reserve member who doesn’t qualify for full-time coverage)

How do I get these benefits?

If you qualify for SGLI, we’ll automatically sign you up through your service branch. See your unit’s personnel office for more information.

Can I make changes to my benefits?

Yes. You can choose your level of coverage or even refuse coverage completely. You can also choose your beneficiaries (the people you pick to get the money from your life insurance policy if you die) and change them as needed.

To change your beneficiaries—or to reduce, turn down, or restore SGLI coverage:

If your branch of service has started using the new SGLI Online Enrollment System (SOES), submit your changes online. To access SOES:

  1. Go to milConnect.

  2. Sign in.

  3. Go to Benefits, Life Insurance SOES- SGLI Online Enrollment System to update.

  4. Check your coverage and beneficiary info and make any needed updates.

You can log in with your CAC or DS Logon using Internet Explorer as soon as you receive notice that you can start using SOES.

If your branch of service hasn’t yet started using SOES, fill out the Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance Election and Certificate and give it to your unit’s personnel officer.
Download the Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance Election and Certificate.
Learn more about SOES and find out if your branch is using this new system.

How much will I pay for these benefits?

If you have SGLI coverage, you’ll pay a monthly premium that’ll be automatically taken out of your base pay. The current basic SGLI premium rate is 7 cents per $1,000 of insurance coverage. The premium includes an additional $1 per month for Traumatic Injury Protection coverage (TSGLI).
Learn more about TSGLI.

These are the SGLI premium rates effective July 1, 2014:

Coverage amount Monthly premium rate TSGLI premium Total monthly premium deduction
$400,000 $28.00 $1.00 $29.00
$350,000 $24.50 $1.00 $25.50
$300,000 $21.00 $1.00 $22.00
$250,000 $17.50 $1.00 $18.50
$200,000 $14.00 $1.00 $15.00
$150,000 $10.50 $1.00 $11.50
$100,000 $7.00 $1.00 $8.00
$50,000 $3.50 $1.00 $4.50

How do I convert my SGLI when I leave the military?

When you leave the military, you can apply to convert to Veterans’ Group Life Insurance (VGLI) within 1 year and 120 days from your discharge for up to the amount of coverage you had through SGLI.
Learn more about VGLI.

You can also convert your SGLI policy into a civilian policy within 120 days from the date you left the military.
Learn how to convert your SGLI coverage to an individual policy.

Can I get a free extension of my SGLI coverage if I’m disabled when I leave the military?

You may be able to keep your coverage for up to 2 years after the date you left the military if you’re within 2 years of your separation date and you meet either of the requirements listed below.

At least one of these must be true:

  • You’re totally disabled at the time of your discharge and unable to work, or
  • No matter your work status, you’ve had 1 of the following:
    • Total loss of hearing in both ears
    • Loss of speech that leaves you unable to talk—even in a whisper—without the help of an artificial device
    • Permanent (long-lasting) loss of use of:
      • Both hands, or
      • Both feet, or
      • Both eyes, or
      • 1 hand and 1 foot, or
      • 1 foot and 1 eye, or
      • 1 hand and 1 eye

How do I apply for SGLI Disability Extension?

You’ll need to apply for the Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance Disability Extension (SGLI-DE).

To apply, fill out the SGLI Disability Extension Application and send it to the OSGLI address listed on the application.
Download the SGLI Disability Extension Application.

If you get approved, you’ll receive a notice 20 months after your separation date letting you know that your SGLI-DE will end and that you now have the option to pay a premium for Veterans’ Group Life Insurance (VGLI).

If you pay the premium, you’ll be able to keep your life insurance coverage for as long as you keep paying the premiums.
Learn more about VGLI.

Where can I find more information?

Read our insurance publications.

Veterans’ Mortgage Life Insurance (VMLI)

If you have a severe service-connected disability that we’ve concluded was caused—or made worse—by your service, you may be able to get Veterans’ Mortgage Life Insurance (VMLI). In the event of your death, this mortgage protection insurance can help your family pay off the home mortgage on a home that’s been adapted to meet your needs.

To get VMLI, you’ll need to apply for our Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grant. The SAH grant can help you buy, build, or make changes (like installing ramps or widening doorways) to a home so you can live more independently. When you receive an SAH grant, your Loan Guaranty agent will tell you if you qualify for VMLI and will help you apply.
Find out if you qualify for an SAH grant—and how to apply.
Find out if you qualify for VMLI—and how to apply.