Skip to Content
Your browser is out of date. To use this website, please update your browser or use a different device.
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

VR&E Application Process

If you’re a Servicemember or Veteran who’s overcoming challenges related to service-connected disabilities and an employment handicap, you can apply for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) benefits and services online. Find out how to apply.

How to apply if you already have your VA disability rating

  1. Log in to your eBenefits account.

  2. Click Additional Benefits on your dashboard.

  3. Click Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program.

  4. Apply for the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program.

  5. If you’re eligible, we’ll invite you to an orientation session at your nearest VA regional office.

Ready to apply?

Go to eBenefits to Apply

What if I’m a Servicemember who hasn’t yet received a service-connected disability rating?

You don’t need to wait for a rating. Instead, please fill out VA Form 28-0588 (VA Vocational Rehabilitation - Getting Ahead After You Get Out). Download Form 28-0588.

You may be eligible for VR&E benefits and services if you’re:

  • Going through the Physical Evaluation Board process, or
  • Expecting an other-than-dishonorable discharge and have a VA memorandum rating of 20% or more, or
  • In the Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES). Learn more about accessing VR&E services through IDES.

Please note: Sec. 1631(b) of the National Defense Authorization Act (PL 110-181) established VR&E eligibility and automatic entitlement for severely injured active duty individuals before a VA rating is issued. Sec. 724 of Public Law 113-291 extends the sunset date of NDAA to September 30, 2018.

What happens after I apply?

After you apply, we’ll schedule a meeting for you with a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (VRC) to determine if you have an employment handicap and if you’re entitled to VR&E benefits and services. You have an employment handicap if your service-connected disability limits your ability to prepare for, obtain, and maintain suitable employment (a job that doesn’t make your disability worse, is stable, and matches your abilities, aptitudes, and interests).

After we make an entitlement decision, you and your counselor will work together to develop a rehabilitation plan. This plan outlines the rehabilitation and other services that VR&E will provide.

You can also meet with VRCs called VetSuccess on Campus (VSOC) Counselors at schools participating in the VetSuccess on Campus (VSOC) program. Learn more about VetSuccess on Campus.