Skip to Content
Your browser is out of date. To use this website, please update your browser or use a different device.
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Unemployment Support

If you can’t find a job after you separate from active-duty service, you may be eligible for unemployment benefits through the Unemployment Compensation for Ex-Servicemembers (UCX) program.

Are you eligible?

Yes, if:

  • You were honorably discharged from active-duty service.
  • You’re actively seeking employment.
  • You’re no longer on terminal leave.

Who’s eligible


How it works

You must apply for unemployment benefits in the state where you live. You can do this in person at your state employment office or, in some cases, online. Your state office will then determine if you’re eligible, how much you may receive, and for how long. Unemployment benefits may vary from state to state. Some states don’t pay Unemployment Compensation if you have retired from active duty and receive retired military pay.

Receiving unemployment will not affect your wages, but if you receive separation or retirement pay, your compensation amount may be lower.

You’ll need the following documents when you apply:

  • A copy of your DD214

  • Social Security card

  • Current resume or military job history

If you’re unemployed and at risk of becoming homeless, call or visit your local VA medical center or Community Resource and Referral Center where VA staff are ready to help.