Career fairs are an important first step in the search for employment. In-person or online, job fairs let you directly and efficiently network with hiring managers from a variety of companies.
Being well prepared is critical to your success
A few tips for you
- Dress professionally.
- Research the companies that will be in attendance, and find out what jobs they have open.
- Prioritize the employers you are interested in, and prepare two to three questions for the representatives of those companies.
- Bring multiple copies of your résumé and any relevant military transcripts.
- Bring business cards to encourage follow-up conversations with prospective employers.
- For virtual or online events, fill out all necessary online profile requirements (including résumé, references, and a professional high-resolution photo), and update your LinkedIn profile.
Find a career fair near you
Corporate Gray military-friendly job fairs take place in the Washington, DC, metro area and in Virginia Beach. Corporate Gray also hosts Virtual Military Job Fairs, which are open to all transitioning Servicemembers and Veterans.
Hiring Our Heroes organizes hiring fairs and other events to help Veterans, transitioning Servicemembers, and military spouses find meaningful employment opportunities.
JobZone career fairs bring together the area’s top employers, including defense and commercial companies, federal agencies, placement and staffing companies, colleges, and universities.
Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) hosts six free, live hiring and networking events, as well as quarterly virtual events for Servicemembers and their spouses.
TechExpoUSA.com serves as an online career center where defense contractors, technology companies, consulting firms, and numerous U.S. governmental agencies can recruit and hire experienced professionals with security clearance.
Virtual Job Scout, sponsored by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation’s Hiring Our Heroes, connects Veterans, transitioning Servicemembers, and military spouses with recruiters online.
Veteran Recruiting job fairs are virtual events that give job seekers the opportunity to chat live with employers online. Employers are also available offline.