Accelerated Payments for High-Technology Programs
If you’re enrolled in a high-tech program and intend to work in a high-tech industry, you may be eligible to receive a lump-sum payment of 60% of tuition and fees. VA issues accelerated payment to you instead of the monthly benefits you would otherwise receive. This program covers the higher per-month costs associated with these courses of study.
Are you eligible for education benefits?
- You are an active-duty GI Bill recipient, in which case both degree and non-degree programs qualify.
- You are a REAP recipient or a Reservist using the Reserve GI Bill while pursuing a non-degree program for two years or less.
- Your tuition and fees exceed 200% of the monthly amount of educational assistance you would otherwise be eligible to receive during the certified period of enrollment.
Who is covered
Education benefits in the form of accelerated payments of 60% of tuition and fees for high-cost high-tech programs.
How it works
You must be enrolled in one of the following categories:
- Life science or physical science (not social science)
- Engineering (all fields)
- Engineering and science technology
- Computer specialties
- Engineering, science, and computer management
And, you must certify that you intend to seek employment in one of the following industries:
- Life science technologies
- Computers and telecommunications
- Computer-integrated manufacturing
- Material design
- Nuclear technology
Exception: This benefit is not available under the Post-9/11 GI Bill, Dependents’ Educational Assistance program, or VEAP.