On-the-Job Training and Apprenticeships
You can get help paying for books, supplies, and housing while you’re learning a trade or skill through on-the-job training (OJT) or apprenticeships. Find out how to get education benefits.
Can I get education benefits?
You can get benefits if you qualify for the GI Bill, and:
- You want to work in an industry or job that has OJT, like:
- Hotel management
Exception: You can’t get OJT if you’re an active-duty Servicemember or a spouse using a transferred benefit.
What benefits can I get?
- Money for books and supplies, up to $83 per month
- Money for housing, if you’re covered under the Post-9/11 GI Bill
How do I get these benefits?
You’ll need to make sure the program is approved for VA education benefits. Check with your local VA office.
You’ll most likely need to enter into a training contract for a set amount of time with an employer or union. During training, you’ll probably get a salary from the employer or union, which can go up as you gain more skills. When you finish your training, you’ll get a job certification or journeyman status.
If you’re a Veteran in an approved program, you can use your GI Bill benefit and get tax-free money for books and supplies. The Post-9/11 GI Bill offers you a monthly housing allowance (MHA) in addition to your entry-level wage. We issue GI Bill payments each month after your employer or union reports your hours to us.
Your payment depends on which GI Bill program you’re using. View the payment rates.
Post-9/11 GI Bill MHA Payment Rates
You’ll get 100% of your applicable MHA during the first 6 months of training. Then you’ll get:
- 80% of your applicable MHA during the second 6 months of training
- 60% of your applicable MHA during the third 6 months of training
- 40% of your applicable MHA during the fourth 6 months of training
- 20% of your applicable MHA during the rest of the training period
All other GI Bill Programs Payment Rates
- 75% of the full-time GI Bill rate for the first 6 months of training
- 55% of the full-time GI Bill rate for the second 6 months of training
- 35% of the full-time GI Bill rate for the rest of the training period