Co-op Training

If you are enrolled at an approved Institution of Higher Learning (IHL) that provides cooperative (co-op) training, you may use VA educational assistance benefits to cover your costs. Co-op training is an educational program requiring periods of full-time work or training alternating with periods of full-time instruction.

Are you eligible for benefits?

Yes, if:

  • You are using VA educational assistance.
  • You are pursuing an educational program that requires part-time study and part-time work or training.

Who is covered


Available benefits

Tuition assistance

How it works

The amount covered under VA educational assistance depends on the benefit you use.

  • The Post-9/11 GI Bill: If the program is at a public IHL, VA pays the actual costs for public in-state tuition and fees. If the program is at a private or foreign IHL, VA pays the lesser of the national maximum or the actual costs for in-state tuition and fees. Housing and books stipend benefits are also paid.
  • All other GI Bill programs: VA pays a monthly rate that varies depending on which GI Bill program you are entitled to use. View current payment rates.