Education and Career Counseling
If you are transitioning out of active service soon, you are entitled to free educational and career counseling services.
Are you eligible for services?
- You will be discharged from active duty within six months.
- You were discharged from active duty not more than one year ago under conditions other than dishonorable.
- You qualify as a Veteran for educational assistance under a VA education program.
- You qualify as a dependent for educational assistance under the Post-9/11 GI Bill, the Fry Scholarship, or the Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA).
Who is covered
You and your dependents
Academic and career counseling
How it works
As a transitioning Servicemember, you are eligible to receive the following services:
- Counseling to help you decide which civilian or military occupations to pursue.
- Educational and career counseling to help you find a training program or job.
- Academic and adjustment counseling to help resolve issues that interfere with your success in training or employment.
Use CareerScope®, the VA aptitude assessment tool, at no cost.
How to apply
- Log in to eBenefits.
- Select “Apply.”
- Select “Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Benefits.”
- Apply for “Educational and Career Counseling.”
If you are eligible, VA will invite you to attend an orientation session at the nearest VA regional office.