Educational and Career Counseling
If you’re leaving active service soon, find out how to get free educational and career counseling.
Can I get educational and career counseling?
You can get these services if you’ll be discharged from active duty within 6 months or:
- You were discharged from active duty not more than 1 year ago under conditions other than dishonorable, and
- You qualify as a Veteran for educational assistance under a VA educational program.
Note: Dependents who qualify for educational assistance may get these services under the following programs:
- Post-9/11 GI Bill
- Fry Scholarship
- The Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA)
- Qualified dependents
What benefits can I get?
- Counseling to help you decide which civilian or military jobs you want
- Educational and career counseling to help you find a training program or job
- Academic and adjustment counseling to help you deal with issues that get in the way of your success in training or employment
How do I get these benefits?
You’ll need to apply:
- Log in to eBenefits.
- Select “Apply.”
- Select “Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Benefits.”
- Apply for “Educational and Career Counseling.”
If you qualify, we’ll invite you to an orientation session at a VA regional office near you. You can also use CareerScope® to find careers you might enjoy. Use CareerScope.