Skip to Content
Your browser is out of date. To use this website, please update your browser or use a different device.

This site is a work in progress. If you don’t find what you need, visit

Educational and Career Counseling

If you’re leaving active service soon, find out how to get free educational and career counseling.

Can I get educational and career counseling?

You can get these services if you’ll be discharged from active duty within 6 months or:

  • You were discharged from active duty not more than 1 year ago under conditions other than dishonorable, and
  • You qualify as a Veteran for educational assistance under a VA educational program.

Note: Dependents who qualify for educational assistance may get these services under the following programs:

Who’s covered?

  • Veterans
  • Qualified dependents

What benefits can I get?

  • Counseling to help you decide which civilian or military jobs you want
  • Educational and career counseling to help you find a training program or job
  • Academic and adjustment counseling to help you deal with issues that get in the way of your success in training or employment

How do I get these benefits?

You’ll need to apply:

  1. Log in to eBenefits.
  2. Select “Apply.”
  3. Select “Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Benefits.”
  4. Apply for “Educational and Career Counseling.”

If you qualify, we’ll invite you to an orientation session at a VA regional office near you. You can also use CareerScope® to find careers you might enjoy. Use CareerScope.