Tutorial Assistance

If you are using VA educational assistance, and you’re struggling with the course work, you may be eligible for a financial supplement to pay for a tutor.

Are you eligible for benefits?

Yes, if:

  • You are using VA educational assistance.
  • You are pursuing an educational program at half-time or more.
  • You are enrolled in the course you’re finding difficult.
  • The course is a required part of your educational program.

Who is covered


Available benefits

A supplement to the regular education benefit

How it works

VA will not pay more than $100 per month for tutoring assistance, and will not pay more than $1,200 total. Here’s how the process works:

  • Your course instructor must identify your need for a tutor and write a letter on your behalf for your VA student file.
  • If you are approved, the school will assign you a tutor and confirm the tutor’s hourly pay.
  • You, your selected tutor, and your school’s certifying official must complete and sign VA Form 22-1990t, Application for Individualized Tutorial Assistance. If you are using the Post-9/11 GI Bill, your professor must also sign section 18 of this form.
  • At the end of every month you receive tutoring, you’ll need to send in this application. It must be signed and dated on or after the date of the last certified tutoring session (Form 22-1900t, item 12b).

There is no entitlement charge for the first $600 of your Montgomery GI Bill or for your Post-9/11 GI Bill or Dependents’ Educational Assistance.

Note: Tutorial Assistance is not available for Reservists using the Reserve Educational Assistance Program benefit.