Transferring Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits

If you have not used all of your Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits, you may be eligible to transfer up to 36 months of benefits to your spouse or dependent children. Once the Department of Defense (DOD) approves the transfer, the new beneficiaries can apply for VA benefits.

Note: The Department of Defense (DOD) determines whether or not you can transfer benefits to your family.

Are you eligible to transfer benefits?

Yes, if:

  • You’re on active duty or in the Selected Reserve.
  • You’re in one of these situations:
    • You have at least six years of service on the date of approval and agree to serve four additional years from the date of election, or
    • You have at least ten years of service on the date of approval, are prevented by either policy or statute from committing to four additional years, but agree to serve for the maximum amount of time allowed, or
  • The recipient of the benefit is enrolled in DEERS.

Who is covered

Your dependents

Available benefits

  • Significant tuition-funding assistance
  • A location-adjusted housing allowance for paying your living expenses during enrollment

How it works

The following conditions apply to family members using transferred benefits:


  • May use the benefit immediately.
  • May use the benefit while you are on active duty or after separation.
  • Are not eligible for the monthly housing allowance while you are on active duty.
  • May use the benefit for up to 15 years after your separation from active duty.


  • May start to use the benefit only after you have completed at least 10 years of service.
  • May use the benefit while you are on active duty or after separation.
  • May not use the benefit until they have received a secondary school diploma (or equivalency certificate), or have reached 18 years of age.
  • Are entitled to the monthly housing allowance stipend even when you are on active duty.
  • Are not subject to the 15-year delimiting date, but they may not use the benefit after reaching 26 years of age.

Dependent eligibility is not affected if a child marries or if you and your spouse divorce. However, Servicemembers and Veterans retain the right to revoke or modify a transfer at any time. If you want to totally revoke transferred benefits for a dependent and you are still in the service, you must submit another transfer request for the dependent via milConnect. If a dependent’s transfer eligibility was previously totally revoked, you cannot transfer benefits again to that dependent.

If you are still in the service and want to reallocate transferred benefits, you can do so using the TEB Portlet in milConnect. If you’re a Veteran and want to reallocate benefits, you should contact VA using the Ask a Question website.

What happens next?

While you are still serving, use the Transfer of Education Benefits (TEB) website to request, modify, and revoke a Transfer of Entitlement (TOE). You cannot apply for a transfer of benefits through VA. (Note: From the milConnect home page, select Education then Transfer of Education Benefits [TEB] from the menu bar.)

Upon approval, family members may apply online to use transferred benefits or may print, complete, and mail VA Form 22-1990e to the nearest VA regional office.

Once you leave military service, you can still provide a future effective date for use of TOE, modify the number of months transferred, or revoke the transfer of entitlement by submitting a written request to VA through the TEB website.

Learn more

  • DOD website for information on transferability (non-VA link)
  • Fact sheet on Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits transferability
  • To ask about your eligibility, the status of your transfer request, and the TEB Portlet (for service-specific questions), please contact the appropriate career counselor or personnel center from this list:
    • Army Active-Duty Officer Email
    • Army Active-Duty Enlisted Email
    • Army National Guard Email
    • Army Reserve (Enlisted and Officer) Email
    • Navy Active-Duty Personnel 866-U-ASK-NPC (866-827-5672)/DSN 882-5672
    • Navy Reserve 800-621-8853, Fax: 757-444-7597/7598 Email
    • Marine Corps Active-Duty Officer Email
    • Marine Corps Active-Duty Enlisted Email
    • Marine Corps Reserve Email
    • Air Force Active Duty 800-525-0102 or 210-565-5000 or DSN 665-5000
    • Air National Guard (Contact unit retention manager)
    • Air Force Reserve Email
    • Coast Guard Active Duty Email
    • Coast Guard Reserve Email
    • NOAA Email or 301-713-7728
    • PHS Email or 240-453-6130