Skip to Content
Your browser is out of date. To use this website, please update your browser or use a different device.

This site is a work in progress. If you don’t find what you need, visit

Transferring Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits

Find out if you can transfer any of your unused Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to your spouse or dependent children.

Note: The Department of Defense (DOD) determines whether or not you can transfer benefits to your family.

Can I transfer benefits?

You can transfer benefits if you’re on active duty or in the Selected Reserve and:

  • You’re in one of these situations:
    • You have at least 6 years of service on the date of approval and agree to add 4 more years of service from the date of election, or
    • You have at least 10 years of service on the date of approval, can’t commit to add 4 more years of service because of either policy or statute, but agree to serve for the maximum amount of time allowed, and
  • The person getting benefits has enrolled in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS).

Who’s covered?

Qualified dependents

What benefits can my qualified dependents get?

If the DOD approves the Transfer of Entitlement (TOE), your spouse or dependent children can apply for up to 36 months of benefits, and may be able to get money for:

  • Tuition
  • Housing
  • Books and supplies

When can they use the transferred benefits?

These conditions apply to family members using transferred benefits:


  • May use the benefit right away
  • May use the benefit while you’re on active duty or after separation
  • Don’t qualify for the monthly housing allowance while you’re on active duty
  • May use the benefit for up to 15 years after your separation from active duty


  • May start to use the benefit only after you’ve finished at least 10 years of service
  • May use the benefit while you’re on active duty or after separation
  • May not use the benefit until they’ve gotten a high school diploma (or equivalency certificate), or have reached 18 years of age
  • Qualify for the monthly housing allowance even when you’re on active duty
  • Don’t have to use the benefit within 15 years after your separation from active duty, but can’t use the benefit after they’ve turned 26 years old.

Your dependents may still qualify even if a child marries or you and your spouse divorce. However, Servicemembers and Veterans can revoke (cancel) or change a TOE at any time. If you want to totally revoke transferred benefits for a dependent and you’re still in the service, you must turn in another transfer request for the dependent through milConnect. If a dependent’s transfer eligibility (ability to get a TOE) has been totally revoked, you can’t transfer benefits again to that dependent.

How do I transfer the benefit?

While you’re still on active duty, you’ll request to transfer, change, or revoke a Transfer of Entitlement (TOE) through milConnect. You can’t apply for a TOE through us. Transfer, change, or revoke a TOE.

If DOD approves the TOE, family members may apply for benefits.

Find a nearby VA facility.

Once you leave active duty, you can still provide a future effective date that the TOE can be used, change the number of months transferred, or revoke the TOE by submitting a written request to VA through milConnect.

Get more information

  • DOD website for information on transferring benefits
  • Fact sheet on transferring Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits
  • To find out if you qualify, the status of your transfer request, and how to use the TEB Portlet (for service-specific questions), please contact the right career counselor or personnel center from this list:
    • Army Active-Duty Officer Email
    • Army Active-Duty Enlisted Email
    • Army National Guard Email
    • Army Reserve (Enlisted and Officer) Email
    • Navy Active-Duty Personnel 866-U-ASK-NPC (866-827-5672)/DSN 882-5672
    • Navy Reserve 800-621-8853, Fax: 757-444-7597/7598 Email
    • Marine Corps Active-Duty Officer Email
    • Marine Corps Active-Duty Enlisted Email
    • Marine Corps Reserve Email
    • Air Force Active Duty 800-525-0102 or 210-565-5000 or DSN 665-5000
    • Air National Guard (Contact unit retention manager)
    • Air Force Reserve Email
    • Coast Guard Active Duty Email
    • Coast Guard Reserve Email
    • NOAA Email or 301-713-7728
    • PHS Email or 240-453-6130