Fry Scholarship

The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship) provides Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to the children and surviving spouses of Servicemembers who died in the line of duty while on active duty after September 10, 2001. If you qualify, you may receive up to 36 months of benefits at the 100% level. Full in-state tuition costs are covered at public institutions; up to $21,084.89 per year will be paid for training at private institutions.

Are you eligible for Fry Scholarship benefits? : Yes, if: : You are the child or surviving spouse of an active-duty Servicemember who died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001.

Who is covered : Dependents and survivors

Available benefits

Fry Scholarship (GI Bill benefits)

How it works

Children are eligible as of their 18th birthday or after graduating high school, whichever comes first. Childrens’ eligibility ends on their 33rd birthday. A spouse has 15 years from the Servicemember’s death to use the benefit.

If you are a dependent and your parent died in the line of duty before August 1, 2011, you may be eligible for both the Fry Scholarship and the Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) program, but you can use only one program at a time. Combined benefits are capped at 81 months of full-time training.

Surviving spouses are eligible to receive Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) while using the Fry Scholarship. Children over 18 who receive DIC benefits will need to give up those payments when they start to use the Fry Scholarship.

Exception: Spouses who remarry will lose their eligibility for this benefit.

What are the steps?

  1. Choose school
    • Use the GI Bill Comparison Tool to help you choose a school.
    • Make sure that your selected program is approved for VA training.
  2. Fill out form
    • Fill out VA Form 22-5490 (Dependents’ Application for VA Education Benefits). Send it to the VA regional office that has jurisdiction over the state where you intend to go to school.
    • If you are not yet legally an adult, your parent or guardian must sign the application.
    • If you have already started your educational program, ask a certifying official from your school or your employer to request VA Form 22-1999 (Enrollment Certification) from their VA representative, complete it, and submit it online using VA-ONCE.
  3. Choose program
    • When you apply, you must choose between the Fry Scholarship or the Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance program. Once you make that choice, you can’t change it.