Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)
If you’re a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps or Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard, or Air National Guard, you may be able to get up to 36 months of education and training benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) program. Find out if you qualify.
Can I get education benefits under this program?
You can get education benefits if you meet the requirements listed below.
One of these must be true:
- You have a 6-year service obligation (you agreed to serve 6 years) in the Selected Reserve, or
- You’re an officer in the Selected Reserve and you agreed to serve 6 years in addition to your initial service obligation
And all of these must also be true. You:
- Finish your initial active duty for training (IADT), and
- Get a high school diploma or something of equal value, like a High School Equivalency Diploma or GED, before finishing IADT, and
- Stay in good standing while serving in an active Selected Reserve unit.
What benefits can I get?
We’ll give you up to $368 per month in compensation (payments) for these types of training:
- Undergraduate and graduate degree programs
- Co-op training
- Non-college degree programs (technical or vocational courses)
- Flight training
- On-the-job training and apprenticeships
- High-tech training for Reservists in non-degree educational programs lasting two years or less
- Licensing and certification tests
- Entrepreneurship training
- Certain entrance examinations (national testing)
- Correspondence courses
- In some cases:
- Remedial courses (classes some students must take to build up their basic skills in math, reading, or English before they can take regular college courses),
- Deficiency courses (classes some student must take in order to be admitted to a certain college)
- Refresher courses (brief courses that help people review and improve their knowledge in a certain subject area)
How do I get these benefits?
Get more information
- Ask questions on the GI Bill customer service page. You can also search frequently asked questions.
- Call 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. (ET) or TDD/TTY 1-800-877-8339.