Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)
If you are an eligible member of the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard, or Air National Guard, you may receive up to 36 months of education and training benefits under the MGIB-SR program.
View current payment rates.
Are you eligible for this program?
- You have a six-year service obligation in the Selected Reserve. If you are an officer, you must have agreed to serve six years in addition to your original obligation.
- You complete your initial active duty for training (IADT).
- You receive a high school diploma or equivalency certificate before completing IADT.
- You remain in good standing while serving in an active Selected Reserve unit.
You can use up to $368 per month in financial assistance for the following types of training:
- Undergraduate and graduate programs
- Co-op training
- Technical or vocational courses (non-college degree programs)
- Flight training
- On-the-job training and apprenticeships
- High-tech training for Reservists pursuing a non-degree program of education lasting two years or less
- Licensing and certification tests
- Entrepreneurship training
- Certain entrance examinations (national testing)
- Correspondence courses
- Under certain circumstances, remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses
How it works
- Visit the GI Bill customer service page to search Frequently Asked Questions or to ask a question online.
- Call 1-888-442-4551 (1-888-GI-BILL-1) from 8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. ET Mon - Fri.
- For TDD/TYY, use 1-800-829-4833.