Skip to Content
Your browser is out of date. To use this website, please update your browser or use a different device.
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD)

If you served at least 2 years on active duty, you may qualify for the Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD) program. Find out if you qualify.

Can I get education benefits?

You can get education benefits if you were honorably discharged and:

  • You have a high school diploma, GED, or 12 hours of college credit, and
  • You meet the requirements of 1 of these categories:


  • You entered active duty for the first time after June 30, 1985, and
  • You had military pay reduced by $100 a month for the first 12 months of service, and
  • You served for 3 years continuously (no breaks in service), or for 2 years if that was your agreement when you enlisted. Or, if you entered the Selected Reserve within a year of leaving active duty, you served continuously for 4 years (the 2 by 4 program)


  • You entered active duty before January 1, 1977, or you entered active duty before January 2, 1978, under a delayed enlistment program contracted before January 1, 1977, and
  • You served at least 1 day between October 19, 1984, and June 30, 1985, and you stayed on active duty through June 30, 1988 (or through June 30, 1987, if you entered the Selected Reserve within 1 year of leaving active duty and served 4 years), and
  • You had at least 1 day remaining of chapter 34 entitlement as of December 31, 1989.


Both of these are true:

  • You don’t qualify for MGIB under categories I or II, and
  • Before separation, you had military pay reduced by $1,200

And 1 of these is true:

  • You were on active duty on September 30, 1990, and you separated involuntarily (not by your choice) after February 2, 1991, or
  • You involuntarily separated on or after November 30, 1993, or
  • You voluntarily separated under either the Voluntary Separation Incentive (VSI) program or the Special Separation Benefit (SSB) program


You had military pay reduced by $100 a month for 12 months or made a $1,200 lump-sum contribution (meaning you paid it all at once) and:

  • You were on active duty on October 9, 1996, had money left in a VEAP account on that date, and chose MGIB before October 9, 1997, or
  • You entered full-time National Guard duty under title 32, USC, between July 1, 1985, and November 28, 1989, and you chose MGIB between October 9, 1996, and July 9, 1997

Who’s covered?


What benefits can I get?

Money for tuition or training

How do I get these benefits?

Apply online now.

You may get up to 36 months of education benefits. We pay the benefits monthly and the amount depends on the following factors:

  • Length of service
  • Type of educational or training program
  • Your category (as defined above)
  • Whether you qualify for a college fund or kicker
  • How much you have paid into the $600 Buy-Up program

Related funding or training programs that fall under MGIB-AD

Use the GI Bill Comparison Tool to compare benefits at schools.
Read the Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty pamphlet.

“GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The absence of the registration symbol ® does not constitute a waiver of VA’s trademark rights in that phrase.” Read our Terms of Use.