Education Benefits Application Process
If you’re a Servicemember, Veteran, or family member interested in education and training opportunities, you can apply for your Certificate of Eligibility (COE). You can also manage your current benefits.
- Check your eligibility.
- Gather the documents and information listed below that you’ll need to apply for education benefits.
- See what benefits you’ll get at the school you want to attend. Go to the GI Bill Comparison Tool.
- Work with a trained professional with a Veterans Service Organization (VSO) who can help you pick the right program. Find an accredited representative.
What documents and information do I need to apply?
- Social Security number
- Bank account direct deposit information
- Education and military history
- Basic information about the school or training facility you want to attend or are attending now
Ready to apply?
Apply online with Form 22-1990:
Make a change to your current education benefits
If you need to make a change (for example, you’re moving to a new school), manage your benefits with Form 22-1995:
Forms 22-1990E, 22-1990N, 22-5490, and 22-5495
You must apply for education benefits using eBenefits if you’re:
- A spouse or dependent
- A survivor of a Veteran
- A candidate for the National Call to Service program
Other ways to apply
- Go to a VA regional office and have a VA employee help you. Find a regional office near you.
- Work with your school’s VA certifying official. This person is usually in the Registrar or Financial Aid office at the school.
- Call 888-442-4551 (888-GI-BILL-1) from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. (ET), Monday through Friday, to request that we send the application to you. Fill it out and mail it to the VA regional claims processing office that’s in the same location as your school. See a list of regional claims processing offices.
What happens after I apply?
- Find out what happens after you apply.
- You can’t make changes to your application, but if you have questions about education benefits, please call 888-442-4551 (888-GI-BILL-1) from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. (ET), Monday through Friday.
- If we’ve asked you for documents, please upload them through the GI Bill website. Go to the GI Bill Website