Education Benefits Application Process
If you’re a Servicemember, Veteran, or family member interested in education and training opportunities, you can apply for your Certificate of Eligibility (COE). You can also manage your current benefits.
- Check your eligibility.
- Gather the documents and information listed below that you’ll need to apply for education benefits.
- See what benefits you’ll get at the school you want to attend. Use the GI Bill Comparison Tool.
- Work with a trained professional with a Veterans Service Organization (VSO) who can help you pick the right program and file a claim for VA education benefits. Get help filing your claim.
What documents and information do I need to apply?
- Social Security number
- Bank account direct deposit information
- Education and military history
- Basic information about the school or training facility you want to attend or are attending now
Other ways to apply
Go to a VA regional office and have a VA employee help you. Find a regional office near you.
Work with your school’s certifying official. This person is usually in the Registrar or Financial Aid office at the school.
Call 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. (ET), to request that we send the application to you. Fill it out and mail it to the VA regional claims processing office that’s in the same location as your school. See a list of regional claims processing offices.
What happens after I apply?
You can’t make changes to your application, but if you have questions about education benefits, please call 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. (ET).
If we’ve asked you for documents, please upload them through the GI Bill website. Go to the GI Bill Website