Education Benefits Application Process

If you’re a Servicemember, Veteran, or family member interested in education and training opportunities, you can apply for your Certificate of Eligibility (COE). You can also manage your current benefits.


What documents and information do I need to apply?

  • Social Security number
  • Bank account direct deposit information
  • Education and military history
  • Basic information about the school or training facility you want to attend or are attending now

Ready to apply?

Applying for a new benefit

Apply online with Form 22-1990, 22-1990E, 22-1990N, or 22-5490:

Which form do you want to use?
Apply Now

Make a change to your current education benefits

If you need to make a change (for example, you’re moving to a new school), manage your benefits with Form 22-1995 or Form 22-5495:

Which form do you want to use?
Apply Now

Other ways to apply

In person

  • Go to a VA regional office and have a VA employee help you. Find a regional office near you.
  • Work with your school’s certifying official. This person is usually in the Registrar or Financial Aid office at the school.

By mail

  • Call 888-442-4551 (888-GI-BILL-1) from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. (ET), Monday through Friday, to request that we send the application to you. Fill it out and mail it to the VA regional claims processing office that’s in the same location as your school. See a list of regional claims processing offices.

What happens after I apply?

How long does it take us to make a decision?

30 days Average time to process education claims