Apply for Education Benefits
Who Should Read This
Servicemembers and Veterans seeking education and training opportunities
How long does a decision take?
The time it takes to process your claim depends on your regional office. There are four regional claims processing centers, and it varies region by region. You can use VA’s interactive map to find out how quickly your regional office processes claims.
What are the steps?
Gather Your Documents
The following documents will help VA process your claim:
- DD214 (Member 4), discharge or separation papers, for all periods of active-duty service, excluding active duty for training
- DD2384, Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE), which you can get through your Reserve unit
- Orders, if activated from the Guard or the Reserves
You have four options for filing your claim:
- Apply online using eBenefits.
- Go to a VA regional office and have a VA employee assist you.
- Work with your school’s VA certifying official. This person is usually in the Registrar or Financial Aid office at the school of your choice.
- Call 888-442-4551 to have the application mailed to you. After you complete it, mail it to your VA regional claims processing office.
You can track the status of your application on eBenefits.
Please note: Content on this Web page is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to provide legal advice or to be a comprehensive statement or analysis of applicable statutes, regulations, and case law governing this topic. Rather, it’s a plain-language summary. If you are seeking claims assistance, your local VA regional office, a VA-recognized Veterans Service Organization, or a VA-accredited attorney or agent can help. Search Accredited Attorneys, Claims Agents, or Veterans Service Organizations (VSO) Representatives.