Skip to Content
Your browser is out of date. To use this website, please update your browser or use a different device.
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Licensing and Certification

If you paid for one or more tests to become a licensed or certified professional, we may pay you back. Find out if you qualify for this benefit.

Can I get paid back for licensing and certification test fees?

We’ll pay you back if you meet both of the requirements listed below.

Both of these must be true:

  • You qualify for the GI Bill, and
  • You’re taking a test or an exam that costs less than $2,000.

Who’s covered?


What kind of benefits can I get?

If you paid for a test to become a licensed or certified mechanic, medical technician, attorney, therapist, website developer, computer network engineer, or other professional, we may pay you back. There’s no limit to the number of tests you can take, or the number of times you take the same test. We’ll pay for tests even when you don’t score high enough to get your license or certification. We won’t pay for fees or costs related to getting the actual license or certification document.

How do I get this benefit?

You have to turn in proof of payment. First, fill out an Application for Reimbursement of Licensing or Certification Test Fees (VA Form 22-0803).
Download VA Form 22-0803.

Then, either upload the form to the GI Bill site or mail it to your nearest VA regional processing office.
Upload VA Form 22-0803 to the GI Bill website.
Find the address of the nearest VA regional processing office.

Find out how we’ll use your remaining GI Bill benefit toward licensing or certification.