Skip to Content
Your browser is out of date. To use this website, please update your browser or use a different device.
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Replacing Damaged Clothing

Has your clothing been damaged by your prosthetic or orthopedic device (such as a wheelchair) or by the medicine you’re taking for a skin condition? If it has, you may be able to get money each year to help you buy new clothes. This is a disability compensation benefit known as an annual clothing allowance. Find out if you can get this benefit.

Can I get disability benefits from VA?

You may be able to get disability benefits if:

  • Your prosthetic or orthopedic device or your skin medicine causes damage to your clothes, and
  • You need this device or skin medicine because of an injury or illness related to your military service (called a service-connected condition)

Who’s covered?


What disability benefits can I get?

  • A one-time payment, or
  • A yearly payment

How do I get these benefits?

You’ll need to apply for benefits.

To get your yearly payment, you’ll need to qualify by August 1 of that year. You may be able to get more than one payment if:

  • You have more than one prosthetic or orthopedic device, or
  • You have more than one skin medicine, and/or
  • Your device or skin medicine affects more than one type of clothing.

View the current payment rates.

To apply, fill out an Application for Annual Clothing Allowance (VA Form 10-8678), and give it to the prosthetic representative at your local VA medical center. Download VA Form 10-8678.

Use our facility locator to find your nearest VA medical center. Find a VA medical center near you.

For more information, call us at 1-800-827-1000, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. (ET). We collect applications throughout the year and hold them until the August 1 closing date.