Automobile Use Claims

If you have a service-connected disability that prevents you from driving an automobile or other conveyance, you may be eligible for a one-time payment of $20,235.20 toward buying a specially outfitted vehicle. You may also qualify for more than one adaptive-equipment grant to modify a vehicle with power steering, brakes, seats, windows, or lift equipment to assist you with getting into and out of the vehicle.

Are you eligible for compensation?

Yes, if: Your service-connected disability includes at least one of the following conditions:

  • Loss, or permanent loss of use, of one or both feet.
  • Loss, or permanent loss of use, of one or both hands.
  • Permanent impairment of vision in both eyes: Central Visual acuity of 20/200 or less in the better eye with glasses, or Central Visual acuity that is greater than 20/200, accompanied by a visual field defect in which your peripheral field has contracted to such an extent that the widest diameter of visual fields subtends an angular distance no greater than 20 degrees in the better eye.
  • Severe burn injury.
  • Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).
  • Ankylosis (immobility of the joint) in one or both knees or hips (adaptive equipment grant only).

Who is covered

Veterans and Servicemembers

Available benefits


How it works

In the case of these allowances, you must gain VA approval before purchasing an automobile or adaptive equipment. For the adaptive-equipment grant, the compensation may be paid to you or to the seller. For the one-time vehicle purchase grant, the compensation must be paid directly to the seller. You may request and receive either grant before or after military discharge.

You must show that your disability is service connected or is treated as if service connected under 38 U.S.C. 1151.

You will need to complete VA Form 21-4502 (Application for Automobile or Other Conveyance and Adaptive Equipment).

If you are entitled to adaptive equipment only (for example, you have a service-connected disability due to ankylosis of the knees or hips), you should complete VA Form 10-1394 (Application for Adaptive Equipment—Motor Vehicle).