Skip to Content
Your browser is out of date. To use this website, please update your browser or use a different device.

This site is a work in progress. If you don’t find what you need, visit

Automobile Allowance and Adaptive Equipment

Do you have a disability related to your military service that prevents you from driving? If you do, you may be able to get disability compensation or benefits.

Can I get disability benefits from VA?

You may be able to get disability benefits if you have a disability that’s related to your service (called a service-connected disability) and that includes at least 1 of the following:

  • Loss, or permanent loss of use, of 1 or both feet, or
  • Loss, or permanent loss of use, of 1 or both hands, or
  • Permanent decreased vision in both eyes: 20/200 vision or less in your better eye with glasses, or greater than 20/200 vision but with a visual field defect that has reduced your peripheral vision to 20 degrees or less in your better eye, or
  • A severe burn injury, or
  • Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), or
  • Ankylosis in 1 or both knees or hips (Note: This qualifies you for an adaptive-equipment grant only)

Who’s covered?

  • Veterans
  • Servicemembers

What kind of disability benefits can I get?

  • A 1-time payment of not more than $20,235.20 to help you buy a specially equipped vehicle
  • Possibly 1 or more adaptive-equipment grants to change a vehicle with power steering, brakes, seats, windows, or lift equipment to help you get into and out of the vehicle

How do I get these benefits?

You’ll need to apply for benefits and get our approval before buying a vehicle or adaptive equipment. You can apply for—and use—either grant before or after military discharge. Apply for benefits.

When you apply, you’ll need to show that your disability is service connected or treated as if service connected under 38 U.S.C. 1151. Learn more about 38 U.S.C. 1151.

For the 1-time payment to help you buy a specially equipped vehicle

  • You’ll need to fill out VA Form 21-4502: Application for Automobile or Other Conveyance and Adaptive Equipment. Download VA Form 21-4502.
  • We’ll pay the vehicle’s seller directly.

For the adaptive-equipment grant

  • If you qualify for adaptive equipment only, you’ll need to fill out VA Form 10-1394: Application for Adaptive Equipment—Motor Vehicle. Download VA Form 10-1394.
  • We may pay you, or we may pay the equipment seller directly.