If you’d like us to help you gather evidence (supporting documents like a doctor’s report and medical test results) to support your disability benefits claim, please file a standard claim. File a claim now.
With a standard claim, we’ll get your permission to gather any needed evidence for you. This may include medical records from:
- Your non-VA doctor
- Other non-VA health care providers
- State and local governments
- Your current or former employers
What evidence will VA look for to support my claim?
We’ll look for evidence of:
- A current physical or mental disability (damage to your body or mind that makes you less able—or totally unable—to do everyday tasks, including meaningful work)
- An event, injury, or illness that happened while you were serving in the military to cause the disability
Note: A standard claim usually takes longer to process than a fully developed claim (when you send in all supporting evidence along with your claim). Get more information about fully developed claims.