File a Predischarge Claim While Overseas
You can file a disability claim while you’re stationed overseas.
Within the Kaiserslautern Military Community (KMC)
If you are stationed within the KMC, visit the Landstuhl Benefits Delivery at Discharge (BDD) office, where you can start your disability claim while you’re on active duty in predischarge status. Walk-in hours are Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., and from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Outside the KMC
If you are stationed outside the KMC, use the BDD or Quick Start programs through the “Fly-in” claim process, which lets you apply by fax or email before your in-person appointment. Here’s what you need to do to use the Fly-in claim process:
- Contact the Landstuhl BDD office by phone, fax, or email to ask for all needed information and forms.
- Fill out and return your application as directed.
- Look for an email from a BDD officer who will contact you to schedule an exam at the Landstuhl Regional Medical Center (LRMC) and to let you know about the information and evidence (supporting documents like doctor’s reports and medical test results) needed to support your claim.
- Contact the clinics at LRMC to schedule your exams as directed.
- Arrange your travel, and get your command’s approval to make the trip.
- Bring a copy of your Service Treatment Records (STRs) when you report for your exams. These won’t be returned. BDD and Quick Start claims can’t be processed without the STRs.