Disability Benefits Application Process
You can apply for disability benefits online. We’ve listed all the steps below so when you’re ready, you can apply for this tax-free monetary benefit. Find out how to apply.
- Check your eligibility.
- Gather the supporting documents listed below that you’ll need to file a disability claim.
- Be sure your claim is filled out completely and you have all the supporting documents ready to send in along with your claim. This will help us process your claim quickly. Learn more about fully developed claims.
What documents do I need to apply?
For the first disability claim you file, please provide:
- Discharge papers (DD214 or other separation documents)
- Service treatment records (Order service records through the National Archives)
For all disability claims, please provide:
- VA medical records and hospital records that relate to your claimed illnesses or injuries
- Private medical records and hospital reports that relate to your claimed illnesses or injuries
Ready to apply?
Other ways to apply
Work with a trained professional
You can work with a trained professional who can help you file a claim. Find an accredited representative.
Apply in person
What happens after I apply?
You don’t need to do anything while you’re waiting unless we send you a letter asking for more information. If we schedule exams for you, be sure not to miss them.