How to Apply for Disability Benefits
Find out how to apply for VA disability benefits.
How do I prepare before starting my application?
- Find out if you’re eligible for VA disability benefits.
- Gather the supporting documents listed below that you’ll need to file a disability claim.
- Be sure your claim is filled out completely and you have all the supporting documents ready to send in along with your claim. This will help us process your claim quickly. Learn more about fully developed claims.
- Find out if you’ll need to turn in any additional (supplemental) forms with your claim.
What documents do I need to apply?
For the first disability claim you file, please provide:
- Discharge papers (DD214 or other separation documents)
- Service treatment records (Order service records through the National Archives)
For all disability claims, please provide:
- VA medical records and hospital records that relate to your claimed illnesses or injuries
- Private medical records and hospital reports that relate to your claimed illnesses or injuries
How do I apply?
You can apply online right now.
You can also apply:
Apply by mail using an Application for Disability Compensation and Related Compensation Benefits (VA Form 21-526EZ).
Download VA Form 21-526EZ.
Print the form, fill it out, and send it to this address:
Department of Veterans Affairs
Claims Intake Center
PO Box 4444
Janesville, WI 53547-4444
Bring your application to a regional benefit office near you.
Find a regional benefit office.
With the help of a trained professional
You can work with a trained professional called an accredited representative to get help applying for health care benefits.
Get help filing your claim.
What happens after I apply?
You don’t need to do anything while you’re waiting unless we send you a letter asking for more information. If we schedule exams for you, be sure not to miss them.